AFM Activated Filter Media is a direct permanent replacement for sand, doubling the performance of sand filters without significant investments in infrastructure. AFM resists
biofouling and biocoagulation which causes channeling of unfiltered water. AFM is a highly engineered product manufactured from a specific glass type, processed to obtain a particular particle size and shape.
Additionally, the particles are treated with a 3-step activation process to become self-sterilizing. When used with APF Flocculant, you can further improve filtration. AFM comes in three grades 1, 2 & 3, and are layered in your filter for optimal performance.
Unique AFM-ng® Benefits
- Filters 95% of all particles down to 1 micron vs 20 for sand
- A self-sterilizing surface that resists bacterial growth & biocoagulation
- Provides exceptionally safe & clear water
- Prevents the formation of harmful disinfection by-products ( THMs, NC13) resulting in lower DBP’s & better air quality
- Significantly lowers chlorine oxidation demand, and reduces chemical consumption
- Outlasts all other filter media
- Uses 15% less media by weight / Only needs 85% of AFM vs. sand
- Attracts and removes heavy metals, organic matters, and microplastics
- Offers water and energy savings thanks to shorter and slower backwashes compared to sand
- NSF50 and 61 Certified
Things to note:
- You need less AFM compared to sand for your filter
- AFM requires 15-18 gpm/sq.ft. filter area to backwash correctly, and ensure your pump can provide sufficient flow.
1-39 bags costs $70.50/bag
40+ bags costs $65.45/bag
It is ok to mix and match all grades to meet quantity pricing.